About the Area

The Atelier of 3 Rue Musette is in the heart of historic Dijon city, surrounded by various landmarks like the Cathedral of Notre-Dame and other known points of interest of the city rich architectural and historic patrimony: including to name a few ” Les Halles” quarter, “Place Francois Rude”, “Le Suzon” , “Rue des Forges” and ” The Hotel Milsand”.

The Halles Quarter

In the 13th century, this neighborhood was occupied by a monastery run by Dominican monks nicknamed ” The Jacobins”.

In 1793, the quarter became “The Halles of the Jacobins” (Jacobin markets) after the monastery had been seized during the French revolution and the surrounding streets set up to replace the multitude of open markets theretofore existing in Dijon.

In 1807 the former monastery’s church was sold.

A new market place was completed in 1875.  The rue Quantin, one of the bordering market street,  was widened and extended to rue Musette.

The origins of the Place Francois Rude

In the 15th century, the rue des Forges crossed the Suzon river and continued on towards the Place Notre-Dame.  Between the small streets, a little square began to form with the Suzon flowing through it.

In 1513, during the Swiss siege of the city, Dijon’s suburbs were voluntarily burned and people crossed the Suzon, and began building in the small square.

The Suzon

The 1759 Mikel map shows that, at that time, the Suzon still flowed across the city, for the most part, in the open air.  Embankments were built at the end of the 14th century and those living along the river covered its canals with arched bridges.  Nevertheless, as in 1558, the river waters still flooded into the streets on occasion.

The Rue des Forges

In the 15th century, the rue des Forges was Dijon’s principal thoroughfare, as the rue de la Liberte was only built in 1720-24.  At that time, it was a lively commercial center upon which the first great hotels particuliers (mansions) were built amidst other more modest buildings.  Until 1813, rue des Forges was divided into three sections:

– From the rue Verrerie to the place Notre-Dame, in which stood a Jesse cross, it was the rue de l’arbre de Jesse – though in the 17th century, it was called rue derriere le Logis du Roy, and in the 18th century: rue au Change.

– From the Place Notre-Dame to the rue Stephen Liegard, it was called the rue Notre-Dame or rue au Change.

– Finally, from the rue Liegard to the coin du Mirroir, it was called the rue des Forges (formerly rue de la Coutellerie).

Four events were to modify this situation:

– From 1721 to 1724, the east part of the rue de la Liberte was cut through and thus shortened the rue des Forges.

– In 1831, the City Council, in an effort to simplify the multi-name Dijon throughways, titled the 3-section street, “rue des Forges”.

– In the mid-1800’s, the street was even further shortened by the square “Place des Ducs de Bourgogne”.

And finally, even more with the square “Place Francois Rude” being set up in 1904.

The Hotel Milsand